The name of the town Rathfarnham originates from the Irish Ráth Fearnáin which implies The Rath or Fort of Fearnan. Rathfarnham is a town situated in South Dublin. The historical backdrop of Rathfarnham, to the extent we can gain from existing records, started at the season of the Anglo-Norman intrusion in 1199 when the terrains around Rathfarnham were allowed to Milo le Bret. There is a nonattendance of any more seasoned archeological stays from the region of the town
In the hundreds of years promptly following the intrusion, no occasion of extraordinary significance happened. The terrains were to some degree shielded from the Irish neighbors by the presence of the Royal Forest of Glencree with its superintendents. It was just when this awesome deer stop was overwhelm by the O’Toole Clan in the fourteenth Century that Rathfarnham was presented to the risk of assault.
The Motte and Bailey was in the long run superseded by Rathfarnham Castle which was worked by Adam Loftus, Protestant Archbishop of Dublin. He was allowed the terrains of Rathfarnham in 1583 and inside 2 years had manufactured the stronghold which stands today. Rathfarnham manor is a case of a kind of structure known as an invigorated house.
In 1583 the town of Rathfarnham was depicted as a waste town. In 1618 it was allowed a Fair patent. Fairs were hung on 29th July and markets on 29th June. Rathfarnham created as a domain town which served the adjacent demesne and encompassing regions. One entryway of Rathfarnham Demesne opened straightforwardly on to the Main Street.
The fairs of Rathfarnham were once held in Butterfield Lane on May fifteenth, July tenth and October seventh. The previous was a dairy cattle reasonable and that in July for ponies and sheep.The reasonable green was alongside the scaffold and extended along the west bank of the Owendoher stream yet just like the training all through the nation, the business was not kept to the green but rather flooded along the principle road and into each path and rear way.
There was much movement in Rathfarnham amid the stormy time of the seventeenth Century yet from the get-go in the eighteenth Century courteous fellows’ habitations were being raised in the region, for example, Old Orchard, Butterfield House,Washington Lodge , Hermitage, Rathfarnham House, Bloomfield , Fairbrook ,Glenbrook , Silveracre , Ashfield (now known as Brookvale) and Priory .
Right now additionally an extraordinary modern drive occurred. Plants which saddled the water intensity of the Owendoher and different streams were fabricated. At first the vast majority of the factories created paper. Amid the early piece of the nineteenth Century some of these plants changed over to the fabricate of woolen and cotton products later still many were changed over into flour factories. Steam control assumed control from water control and as the old plant structures fell into decay, they were by and large not supplanted.
Church Lane prompts Woodview houses which are fabricated incompletely on the site of an old paper process . A plant race spilled out of Rathfarnham manor grounds where it provided water to angle lakes and under Butterfield Lane to the paper process and proceeded underneath Ashfield to turn the wheel of the Ely Cloth Factory.It was later transformed into the Owendoher waterway at Woodview Cottages yet down to late years when the new street was made to Templeogue the old plant race could at present be followed through the grounds of Ashfield where its dry bed was still spread over by a few stone extensions.
The Catholic Church of the Annunciation was raised in 1878 to supplant the old Chapel in Willbrook Road. Outside the entryway is an Ancient Font on a platform bearing an engraving. The presence of the text style drove the prehistorian Patrick Healy to conjecture that it was initially a stone bullaun and dated to a period significantly sooner than the punitive circumstances.
Toward the finish of the fundamental road the street to Lower Rathfarnham passes on the privilege the site of the soonest Constabulary garisson huts which shut down in 1890 when the foundation was exchanged to a house named Leighton Lodge close Loreto Abbey.
The Dublin Central Tramways Company started a pony drawn cable car benefit from Dublin City by means of Harold’s Cross to Terenure on the 22nd June 1879. Inside a brief time this was benefit reached out to Rathfarnham. The North Dublin Street Tramway Company’s pony drawn cable car benefit from Nelson’s Pillar to Drumcondra had opened in 1877. The whole line was charged from the ninth of November 1899. Stops at Phibsborough and Terenure served the course whose image was a green Maltese cross. This administration was the no. 16 course and on first may 1939 the cable car benefit was supplanted by a transport benefit, likewise assigned the no. 16. The 16 benefit was increased by the 16A Service which additionally took its name fron the number 16 benefit. In the Rathfarnham region the 16A transport serves Nutgrove Avenue where it has its end.