Bray is a seaside town in north of County Wicklow. It lies about 20 kilometers from Dublin and its name Bray or Bré comes from an Irish word for hill or rising ground.
Bray was on the southern border of the Pale during the medieval times and it was ruled by the English crown from Dublin Castle. Towards inland, the area was mostly under the rule of Gaelic Chieftains and clans. The Kilruddery estate in Bray was purchased by the Earl of Meath in 1627 with the grand of his title. It is said that Oliver Cromwell was to stay in Bray in August/September 1649 on his way from Dublin to Wexford. During the latter part of the 18th century the Dublin middle-classes started to move to the so far manorial Bray village.
The first Irish railway – the Dublin and Kingstown railway – opened in 1834, reached Bray in 1854. With the advantage of the railway the town grew in size and accommodation. It soon became a seaside resort with many hotels and terraces built near the seaside. The Moorish-styled Turkish baths were developed by railway magnate William Dargan at a cost of £10,000. These were however destroyed in 1980. The city continued to prosper, however the World Was II put its development to a pause. Post-war period saw some increase in tourism in the 1950s, mainly by the British. The towns use as a holiday destination has declined, however many day-trippers from Dublin continue to visit Bray during the summer season.